Frequency of Hemorrhoids in Madina and Osman Fiqi Hospitals of Somalia

SA Ismail, M Yusuf, T Eren, H Ankarali, O Alimoglu

Abstract


Aim: Hemorrhoids are very common anorectal conditions, defined as the symptomatic enlargement and distal displacement of the normal anal cushions. The aim of this study was to determine the frequency of hemorrhoids in Madina and Osman Fiqi Hospitals of Mogadishu, Somalia.

Methods: The data of all patients with the diagnosis of hemorrhoids who were admitted to Madina and Osman Fiqi Hospitals between January 2012 and December 2015 including demographics, diagnoses, regions of accommodation, and physical examination findings was recorded and analyzed.

Results: Among the total study group of 100 patients 57 (57%) were men and 43 (43%) were women with a mean age of 47.6 (range: 35-65) years. According to the regions of accommodation of the patients, it was detected that 52 (52%) patients were from the center of Mogadishu and the remaining lived in other regions. With regard to the physical examination results, 58 (58%) patients were determined to have internal hemorrhoids, while the remaining 42 (42%) patients possessed external hemorrhoids.

Conclusions: Hemorrhoidal disease has a peak incidence between the ages of 45 - 65 years for both genders and higher socioeconomic status is associated with increased prevalence. A detailed physical examination is essential for diagnosis. Despite its prevalence and low morbidity, hemorrhoidal disease has a high impact on quality of life, and can be managed with both surgical and nonsurgical treatments.

International Journal of Human and Health Sciences Vol. 02 No. 03 July’18. Page : 140-144


Keywords


Hemorrhoids; Etiology; Diagnosis; General Surgery; Somalia

Full Text:

PDF


DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.31344/ijhhs.v2i3.42

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2018 SA Ismail, M Yusuf, T Eren, H Ankarali, O Alimoglu

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.